Red is a character in the Angry Birds series of games created by Rovio Entertainment. First introduced in 2009, the character is the primary bird used in marketing to promote the series.
The first bird used in the game, he has appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released so far, though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode Sakura Ninja, Red appears dressed as a ninja. This was the first time he has appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this episode.
Starting with Poached Eggs, Red will be able to cause great damage to the weaker structures, but as the player advances through the levels and episodes, they soon discover that Red Bird doesn't have much strength compared to the other birds, and can usually only shatter about one long wood or glass block per turn.
Red is useful through all levels, as he can be used to finish off areas that have been weakened by other birds.
Red doesn't have a special ability. When tapped or clicked, he will produce "Ca-Caw!" or "Gnaah!" cry, as with Big Brother Bird.
Red has a short temper when it comes to egg theft and, like most of the Flock, becomes enraged easily when eggs are discovered missing. His best friend and confidant is Chuck.
Little is known about Red's history before the events of the first Angry Birds game. It is known that he went through a baby (1993-1998), negative (1999-2002), rebellious periods (2003-2008) in his youth and for now (2009).
Once the King Pig decided to steal eggs from the Birds on their island, Red Bird has been at the forefront of the war between The Angry Birds and the Bad Piggies. Red, Chuck, Bomb and Jim, Jay and Jake were the first to discover the first eggs missing after severely attacking an insect for landing on their eggs. He is considered the leader of the Flock, though he displays no exceptional powers as the others do.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, he has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves, and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Red. It was only for the actions of Terence, the Big Brother Bird that the Flock was freed.
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where they fought with Blu, Jewel and their friends against Nigel the cockatoo and Mauro and his marmosets.
In addition to Rio, Red has also traveled to China twice and Japan, where he dressed as a ninja.
During the Wreck the Halls adventure, Red and Bomb took the lead in chasing the Pigs through the snow on skis.
In one conflict, the Bad Piggies stole a girl egg. When the flock retrieved her, Red was seen in the company of a female counterpart watching over the eggs. From the picture taken, it would appear that this is his mate and that the Boy and Girl eggs are his offspring.
In another adventure, Red and the Flock were whisked into Space via a wormhole, gained special abilities as a result of the wormhole energy, and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs in order to regain their stolen eggs.'
- Every corpse in Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Google Chrome, and Angry Birds Google+ have their tongue sticking out except for Red
- If the player touches the screen while Red is being flung, he squawks "Ca-Caw!" or "Gnaah!"
- Two versions of Red wearing aviation-related headgear were created for the Angry Birds Asian Challenge completion.
- Like Blu, Red is named after the color of his feathers, however, while Blu is just shortened form of his full name and as well as lacking the e at the end of his name, Red is, in fact, his full name as well as being spelled exactly the same as the color red.
- Terence, the Big Brother Bird, appears to be the same species as Red Bird and they are in fact, related. Other than the Blue Birds, there are no other birds of the same species in the Flock core group.
- An officially licensed T-shirt entitled “Nerdy Birdy” showed Red with glasses and a bowtie. The image was so popular that a plush version was created. It should be noted that the Nerdy Birdy is not a new character, just Red wearing a bowtie and eyeglasses. They were both given by his older brother.
- His color changed as he grew up.
- Since he is the first bird that appears in the game, he is the basic bird.
- Pull-back noise: Wuk-duk!
- Launch noise: Raaaaa ehaaaaa!
- Tap noise: Ca-caw or Gnaaah
- Corpse noises: Ow! Mak! Eow!
Red Bird has appeared in the following games:
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Facebook
- Angry Birds Space (as Super Red Bird)
- Angry Birds Star Wars (as Luke Skywalker/Red Skywalker)
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Volcano
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV