Matilda the White Bird is a character that looks like an egg and is in the Angry Birds series of games, created by Rovio Entertainment. First introduced in 2009, the character is one of the original five birds in the Flock.
She first appeared in level 2-14 of the first episode, Poached Eggs and has appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released so far, though she is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode: Sakura Ninja, Matilda appears dressed as a geisha. This was the first time she has appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this episode.
Despite being one of the largest of the birds, Matilda is weak in physical strength, The egg bombs she deploys has decent power but suffers from a short blast radius and tends to be overestimated in their effect on the structure.
Once the egg is dropped, the corpse then flies up and explodes to the right. Additional damage can be done to the fortresses if the egg is dropped in such a way that it launches the corpse into the structure.
Matilda is as responsible as Red, but not as stressed as him. Matilda has the essence of a mother. She's very caring, especially towards Jim, Jay and Jake as the young ones will always get into trouble.
While she does appear to lay eggs, the eggs explode. She has been seen in the presence of another female White Bird during the St. Valentine's Day holiday but her full connection with this bird is unknown.
Little is known about Matilda's history before the events of the first Angry Birds game or how she acquired the ability or skills to drop explosive eggs.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, she has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves, and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Matilda. It was only for the actions of Terence, the Big Brother Bird that the Flock was freed.
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where they fought with Blu, Jewel and their friends against Nigel the cockatoo and Mauro and his marmosets. Bomb and Matilda did not appear originally in Rio but arrived shortly after the others, so it is possible they were not captured originally and made their way to Rio to find Red, Chuck, and Jim, Jay and Jake.
In addition to Rio, Matilda has also traveled to Japan and China twice, where she wore a geisha costume.
In another adventure, many of the Flock were whisked into Space via a wormhole, gained superpowers and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs. Matilda and Hal appeared to be left behind.
- Matilda's physical appearance seems to be based on an egg shape.
- Matilda's is also the only bird to have projectiles.
- Birds and corpses are impervious to eggs. If the player drops an egg on a corpse or a bird waiting their turn on the slingshot, the egg will bounce off.
- Matilda is possibly based upon the Snow Bunting or a Chicken.
- Originally, Matilda had a nervous expression. However, she was redesigned to appear angrier.
- Matilda, as well as the Hal, are the only Plush Toys with openable beaks.
- In the Summer Pignic Animated Short when Matilda is on the slingshot, Hal accidentally trips and knocks over the slingshot causing Matilda to fling in a different direction. But strangely when she reaches the ground, instead of releasing his explosive egg like she does in every other game he stars in, she explodes right on the spot thus, leaving a small but noticeable crater.
- In the Mighty Eagle poster, Matilda is a chicken.
- Out of the five original members of the Flock, Matilda is featured the least often.
- Originally, one of Matilda's cheeks became purple when she became a corpse. However, it was redesigned to look normal yellow.
Matilda has appeared in the following games:
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Star Wars (as C-3PO)
- Angry Birds Facebook
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Volcano
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV