Bomb is a character in the Angry Birds series of games created by Rovio Entertainment. First introduced in 2009, the character is one of the original five birds in the Flock.
While most all of the Flock have a short temper when it comes to an egg theft, becoming enraged when eggs are discovered missing, Bomb has the worst temper of them all. He loses his temper easily and often. As a result, Bomb tends to be a loner, preferring to remain away from the Flock as he does not want to be stressed with their problems. Despite this, he is always ready to help out should an emergency be called with his explosive power.
Little to nothing is known about Bomb’s history before the events of the first Angry Birds game or how he acquired the power of "mega shockwave," the ability to incinerate items within a radius of his body. When enraged, his top feathers will begin to smoke. He will eventually turn red, then explode with anger. Red, Chuck, Jim, Jay and Jake, and Bomb were also the first to discover the first eggs missing after severely attacking an insect for landing on one of the eggs.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, he has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves, and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Bomb. It was only for the actions of Terence, the Big Brother Bird that the Flock was freed.
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where they fought with Blu, Jewel and their friends against Nigel the cockatoo and Mauro and his Common Marmoset. Bomb and White Bird did not appear originally in Rio, but arrived shortly after the others, so it is possible they were not captured originally and made their way to Rio to find Red, Chuck, and Jim, Jay and Jake.
In addition to Rio, Bomb has also traveled to China twice and Japan, where he wore a karate gi.
During the Wreck, the Halls adventure, Red and Bomb took the lead in chasing the Pigs through the snow on skis. It was Bomb who eventually caught up with them, recovered the Christmas packages and destroyed the Pig Fortress.
In another adventure, Bomb and the Flock jumped into Space via a wormhole, gained superpowers as a result of the wormhole and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs in order to regain their stolen eggs.
He first appeared in level 2-5 of the first episode, Poached Eggs and has appeared as a playable character in every version and the episode of the game released so far, though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode Sakura Ninja, Bomb appears dressed in a Karate Gi. This was the first time he has appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this episode.
Bomb has great physical strength, much like Terence. He is among one of the few birds who are consistently capable of penetrating stone walls when aimed directly at them. He can also penetrate other objects pretty readily, but his overall penetrating power is tempered by his time-activated ability.
Bomb is aptly named, for once he hits anything, he begins to glow red. About two seconds later, he will explode, causing heavy damage to anything within a short radius and forcing back anything else within a larger radius due to the shockwave. He can also be made to explode early by tapping the screen or clicking the mouse (depending on which version of the game the player is using).
Please note that if this bird is tapped, it completely disintegrates and will not emit pain noises. He only emits pain noises if allowed to hit an object before exploding. He works well on stone and hard material.
- Bomb's design has changed only slightly since his introduction. Originally, he had a white spot on his head, most likely to denote a shiny spot on his round form. The spot has been removed on most artwork. Early versions of the plush toy included it but it was removed later.
- Bomb has three launch noises in the game. In every game, he sounds like he is saying grenade (a type of bomb) after he is launched. However, he also says grenade a different way in Angry Birds Facebook and on the Facebook trailer, Angry Birds Google+ and the gameplay trailer for the original game, Bomb sounds like he is laughing after being launched (the same trailer also sounds like he is gulping before launch).
- Bomb is possibly based upon the Greater Antillean Bullfinch.
- Bomb is the only bird who does not display a tail. One was added in Knock on Wood and early Plush Toys.
- Bomb is one of the few birds that can destroy undamaged stone without using his power.
- Bomb is accidentally called "Bob" in the Angry Birds Space comic, a typo made by Rovio.
- Bomb is the first bird not to have a corpse sprite.
- Bomb, Bubbles, and Ice Bird are the only three birds to have their special ability triggered upon impact with an object.
- Bomb is the only bird who has two sounds when shot without doing any special interactions in Angry Birds Facebook and Angry Birds Vuela Tazos.
- Bomb was probably named after being able to explode like a bomb.
Bomb has appeared in the following games:
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Facebook
- Angry Birds Space (as Fire Bomb Bird)
- Angry Birds Star Wars (as Obi-Wan Kenobi)
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Volcano
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV